Are you an owner of a Netgear wireless range extender? If yes, then there’s no wonder that you are accessing lag-free internet in your house by accessing the extender’s Netgear_ext. But, have you ever wondered that this experience can be foiled due to the weird behavior of the extender lights? If you’ve answered no, then understanding the Netgear extender lights meaning can help.
For example, the color solid green flaunted by the LED lights of your extender signifies that everything is okay whereas if you are seeing some other color, then you need to pay some attention. To know about the various colors shown by different LED lights present on the hardware unit of your Netgear extender, read on.
Netgear Extender Lights Meaning
FYI, different LED lights present on your Netgear extender are labeled as Power, WPS, Router Link, Router Arrow, and Client Link. Every LED light serves a purpose and so do the colors flashed by them. Given below is the complete description of different LED lights present on the extender and the color they show.
I. Power LED
To understand the Netgear extender lights meaning, let’s begin with the LED that is present on almost every networking device – the power LED. The role of the Power LED is to reveal whether your wireless device is receiving a steady power supply or not. In context with a Netgear extender, the Power LED flashes two colors – solid green and amber. Let us understand what these colors mean when they appear on the extender’s power LED.
- Solid Green: Your Netgear range extender is properly powered up.
- Solid Amber: The booting process is in progress or your extender is resetting.
II. WPS LED
The second LED light that we will discuss while understanding Netgear extender lights meaning is the WPS. It holds great significance when you are trying to install your WiFi device using the WPS approach. It flashes the color green. However, its blinking or solid statuses try to indicate something.
- Blinking Green: The WPS connection between the extender and router is in process.
- Solid Green: You’ve enabled WiFi security on your Netgear range extender.
III. Router Link LED
As the name suggests, the Router Link LED’s purpose is to make you aware of the strength of the link i.e. the connection between the extender and router. Since you can’t achieve the setup success without the extender-router connection, knowing about Router Link LED in the Netgear extender lights meaning becomes necessary. Following are the different colors shown by this LED light:
- Solid Green: The extender-router connection is best (stable).
- Solid Amber: Your devices are sharing a good connection.
- Solid Red: Caution! There’s a poor connection between your WiFi devices.
IV. Router Arrow LED
It is time to discuss the Router Arrow LED in our guide disclosing Netgear extender lights meaning. The reason is, it is also associated with the communication status between your router and extender.
- Blinking Green: The extender is required to be placed close to the gateway or router.
- Solid Green: The distance between your Netgear range extender and router is accurate.
V. Client Link LED
It is time to shed light on the last LED in the post regarding Netgear extender lights meaning. It serves the purpose of indicating the connection strength between your Netgear extender and other devices. To say it simply, it tells whether the extender’s signals are reaching your devices or not. The Client Link LED on a Netgear range extender either shows a solid white color or no color at all. Let’s check what it means:
- Solid White: Your extender is perfectly doing its job of amplifying the router’s WiFi signals.
- No Color/Off: No signals are getting propagated. Reboot your extender in that case.
In a Nutshell
If we compile the information provided in this Netgear extender lights meaning guide, all LED lights on your device need to be solid (green or white). It is possible only if your extender is:
- Connected to a working power socket
- Placed at a proper distance from the gateway or router
- Located in a WiFi interference-free zone
Once you take care of the aforementioned things, the lights on your extender will work perfectly. Also, we’ll be happy to know that the purpose of writing the post regarding Netgear extender lights meaning is fulfilled. You can contact our experts to share your experience or to know the hidden secrets to enhance the Netgear extender’s output.