Netgear WiFi extenders are known for their extraordinary performance and the magnificent features that they offer. To begin taking advantage of the same you need to set up an extender in your home. But at times, users face issues during the initial setup process. We want to bring forward one such incident wherein the user can’t set up Netgear AX1800 mesh extender with the main router using WPS.
Our user in discussion owns a mesh extender by Netgear which he is trying to connect to the router using the WPS method. It seems the devices are connected but the Router Link LED stays off. All other LEDs: Power, Client and WPS, are either solid or blinking.
Are you also stuck in the same situation? Go on reading further to learn how we helped user get the Netgear extender setup completed.
Have You Tried Using Other Setup Methods?
Do you know there are other ways that can be used to set up a Netgear WiFi range extender other than the WPS method? Did you try using any of those methods? You can use the web interface on a browser or use the Netgear Nighthawk app on your phone.
While helping our user, we realized that the Nighthawk app did not work since he could not connect to the extender’s SSID Netgear_Ext.
But we helped the user and the Netgear extender setup was done successfully. Let us tell you how.
Let’s Fix Netgear AX1800 Mesh Extender Setup Trouble!
This section will walk you through the troubleshooting process that is followed. You can also give a shot at these steps if you are unable to get your Netgear extender setup done.
1. Reset the Extender
Since you’ve tried setting up your Netgear AX1800 mesh extender multiple times, perhaps some configurations on it are not letting you connect to the extender’s default SSID. Let’s clear it out first and get the extender ready for setup. The extender must be running on the default values to complete the initial setup process. Reset the extender using the Reset button on it. Push and hold the button for 10 seconds and restore the default settings on it.
2. Set Up Netgear AX1800 Mesh Extender
You can try connecting your Netgear extender to the host router to complete the setup process. You can use any method now. There are a few tips that you need to keep into consideration while executing the process. We have discussed the same while explaining the setup steps. Read ahead without skipping any point.
- Turn off the router first.
- Place the Netgear AX1800 mesh extender closer to the host router. THE DISTANCE SHOULD NOT BE MORE. Since you are connecting them you need to place them in proximity.
- Turn on the router first and then the mesh extender. ENSURE TO FOLLOW THE SAME SEQUENCE while powering up the devices.
- Push the WPS button on your router.
- Within two minutes, press the WPS button on your extender. DON’T DELAY FOR MORE THAN TWO MINUTES.
The devices will be connected and the Router Link LED should be on. Now that the extender setup is done you can register your extender to the MyNetgear account. You can then begin posting on the Netgear community. You will also receive firmware and security updates after the registration is completed.
Read the next section to learn how to use the Nighthawk app to connect the extender and router.
Using Nighthawk App
- Power down the main router for some time.
- Bring the Netgear AX1800 mesh extender closer to the host router.
- With the help of a LAN cable, connect the LAN port of the router to the Internet port on the extender. USE THE RIGHT PORT AND MAKE A FIRM CONNECTION.
- The devices can also connect wirelessly.
- Plug in the router and turn it on. The next device to be powered on is your extender. Keep in mind, the sequence matters.
- Join Netgear_Ext on your phone now.
- Run the app and follow the setup instructions.
Using the solutions and tips and tricks, setting up the Netgear AX1800 mesh extender will be an easy task. You can also use the Netgear extender web interface on your computer or laptop for the setup process. In this, you use the URL mywifiext.net to reach the setup page and execute the instructions.